If you are a student enrolled in an undergraduate program or recently graduated, here is a great opportunity for you to start your career and undertake educational activity at OIST as a Research Intern.
A research internship at OIST provides students with experience working in a research environment under the direction of OIST faculty. It gives students the opportunity to gain experience in a particular laboratory or to learn a specific technique.
Research Intern places at OIST are awarded twice a year on a competitive basis. Selection is highly competitive, and depends on suitability of the intended research, academic background, available funding and space. Applications from women and minorities are strongly encouraged.
Host country: Japan
Host University: OIST Graduate University
Duration of the internship: 2 to 6 months.
The following support will be provided to the successful applicants.
- Internship Allowance: JPY 2,400 per working day (taxable and weekends excluded)
- Commuting Allowance: OIST Shuttle Bus Pass
- Travel Expenses: One direct round-trip air ticket
- Overnight Accommodation: Furnished apartment on or off campus
- Other Support: Assistance in visa acquisition, insurance procedures, and local registration.
To apply for the OIST Research Internship Program;
- You must be an excellent student and in the final 2 years of your undergraduate or Masters programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or overseas, or you must be a graduate of such institutions.
- If you are currently enrolled student, you must have approval from your home institution.
- Your academic background should be appropriate to your desired host unit at OIST.
You will need to submit the following materials to apply for the program:
1) Curriculum Vitae Sheet (to be uploaded on the online application form)
2) A 400-word Statement of Interest (The Statement of Interest form is provided on the online application form)
3) Scanned copies of your academic transcripts (An English explanation is required for transcripts that are not written in English).
4) Recommendation Letter from an academic or research professional familiar with your work. The application system will ask your referee directly for the letter(s), using the email contact details that you provide in the web application form.
5) Recent ID Photo in standard passport orientation.
How to apply
You will need to open an account in order to apply to the program. Complete the application all at once or in multiple sessions.